Vale of Clwyd Constituency news
A Great Week for RHYL
published Saturday 14th of May 2011 at 1.28 pm
by Cllr Brian Blakeley
This has been a great week for Rhyl and the Vale of Clwyd, the re-election of Ann Jones Labour AM and the Election of Andy Rutherford Labour Councillor to Rhyl Town Council.
I do not think that the people of Rhyl and the Vale of Clwyd realise that Denbighshire County Council is a Tory Council and has only 5 Labour Councillors.
Yet again for the 4th year, Rhyl will be the target for the worst cuts, It's about time we had a stronger voice. This coming year 2012 is Election year for Town and County Councillors we need that stronger voice to be able to support Ann Jones AM, Chris Ruane MP and you the residents We need to stop the Tory Cuts in our Town of Rhyl and make the Vale of Clywd a healthy and better place to live.
VOTE LABOUR 2012
Link to this article: http://www.valeofclwydclp.org.uk/?a=news&br=cons&newsid=798
ANN JONES RE-ELECTED AS ASSEMBLY MEMBER
published Saturday 14th of May 2011 at 10.32 am
Good work from the Vale of Clwyd Labour team won over 50% of the popoular vote for Ann Jones, holding the seat so that she may continue in the role as Assembly member for the Vale of Clwyd constituency.
All opposition parties' support dropped in this 2011 Welsh Assembly election for the Vale of Clwyd.
The voting took place on and before 5th May 2011, and saw an 8.5% swing from the Conservative Party to Labour.
Ann increased her majority from 92 to 4,011.
Link to this article: http://www.valeofclwydclp.org.uk/?a=news&br=cons&newsid=796
GENERAL ELECTION LIBERAL DEMOCRAT CANDIDATE JOINS LABOUR
published Thursday th of January 00 at . am
Paul Penlington, the Liberal Democrat parliamentary candidate for the Vale of Clwyd in the 2010 General Election, has joined the Labour Party.
Upon this news Ann Jones, Assembly candidate for the Vale of Clwyd, said:
'Great to see that the Lib Dem candidate in the 2010 General Election has now chosen to join Labour. It took real guts and serves as a clear message to Clegg before his visit to Wales tomorrow.'
Link to this article: http://www.valeofclwydclp.org.uk/?a=news&br=cons&newsid=793
The future for Denbigh and District branch
published Thursday 8th of July 2010 at 6.07 pm
MEMBERS of Denbigh and District Labour Party have their minds set on the ballot to choose a new UK leader as well as the 2011 Welsh Assembly elections, local campaigning and fund-raising.
At their annual meeting last week, County Councillor Colin Hughes was elected the new Branch Chair, succeeding Town Councillor Graham Maudsley, the current Mayor of Denbigh. Bob Roberts was elected Vice Chair.
Ex-Mayor Cllr Ian Davies was elected Secretary & Press Officer with Gerald O'Leary continuing as Treasurer. Ann Bitcon has taken on the role of Membership Secretary with Margaret Knight elected Women's Officer.
Ian Davies, Gerald O'Leary, Ann Bitcon and new member Marilyn Jones were chosen as Denbigh Branch delegates to the general committee of the Vale of Clwyd Constituency Labour Party. Colin Hughes will represent the Branch on the Denbighshire County Labour Party.
Following the AGM, Branch members briefly discussed the work for the year ahead including the Labour Party leadership contest in the wake of David Miliband's recent visit to the constituency.
With the Assembly elections due to be held next year, it was agreed the Branch would concentrate on working to return Ann Jones as the Vale of Clwyd's AM. Members were told that Ann would be holding a street stall in Denbigh town centre this Saturday(July 10th).
It was agreed that among the campaigns would be to try and establish a cycle track between Denbigh and Ruthin, a development with the potential benefits for local residents and visitors as well as the local economy and tourist footfall. A similar scheme for cyclists has been up and running in north Denbighshire for some time.
Members decided to make this issue an agenda item for the next meeting due to be held on Friday July 30th at 7.30pm at the secretary's home.
Link to this article: http://www.valeofclwydclp.org.uk/?a=news&br=cons&newsid=789
ANN JONES AM: TOWARDS FIRE SPRINKLERS IN ALL NEW WELSH HOMES
published Thursday 28th of January 2010 at 2.18 pm
Wednesday 27th January 2010 is the date on which Ann Jones, AM for the Vale of Clwyd, won unanimous support from the National Assembly of Wales to have legislative powers transferred to Cardiff for Wales' fire safety; a step towards compulsory sprinkler systems in newly built homes.
The decision was welcomed by fire and rescue chiefs, who have campaigned for this change in the law since Ms Jones, an ex Fire Control Officer, started the procedure in July 2007.
Ann Jones had explained to the Assembly that "Nine times out of 10 it's the lack of sprinkler system that means lives are lost in fire."
Wales can expect 'international plaudits' from this legislation, and save the lives of both firefighters and residents.
The North Wales Chief Fire Officer, Simon Smith, said: "This legislation could well be the biggest progression in fire safety in decades and save the lives of countless Welsh families."
"We are doing all that we can to educate residents about fire safety, but frustratingly our messages are not always getting through."
"Although smoke alarms have saved lives on numerous occasions, the alarm raised depends upon the ability of the individual to escape the property."
"Sprinklers attack a fire in its very early stages and can prevent it from spreading and causing injury or loss of life."
"The systems are incredibly sophisticated, and cases of false activation are extremely rare."
Ms Jones commended the Welsh Assmebly members, saying "I am proud that the Assembly has backed my LCO today. It means that Wales is leading the way - on a truly international scale."
Peter Hain, Secretary of State for Wales, said: "Ann's LCO is clear in its ambition to save lives and I pay tribute to her efforts in getting this far."
Link to this article: http://www.valeofclwydclp.org.uk/?a=news&br=cons&newsid=787
Ann Jones: 'A tip for restaurant customers - give cash'
published Thursday 20th of August 2009 at 8.05 pm
Ann Jones, AM for the Vale of Clwyd, calls on all restaurants to stop using tips to pay staff wages
While paying for a meal recently, a friend at my table used her debit card before asking the waitress "will this tip go to you?" to which she responded "umm... I don't know if I can talk about this".
After some hesitation, she confirmed to us that the money would be used by her employer to cover the minimum wage.
I'm sure that this information would disgust anyone who has left a tip expecting it to go to their waiter/waitress or, more precisely, anyone who has ever left a tip!
I have never heard anyone say "I was so pleased with the meal and the service in this restaurant, I think I'll give the company some more money. Please make sure this goes straight to the senior management!"
It's laughable but, effectively, that's what's happening in restaurants up and down the country. Not only is this an abuse of the staff's rights, it's a betrayal of customer trust.
Lawyers sometimes use the phrase "unjust enrichment" to describe the actions of such companies.
Its precise meaning is often disputed, but I know what it means to me. It means that the money you and I think will be going directly to waiting staff is not getting anywhere near their pockets.
The Government will soon close a loophole that allows restaurants to use tips to cover the minimum wage but, incredibly, some refuse to confirm that tips paid for by credit/debit card will be given to their waiting staff.
This case seems all the more shameful when you consider the tough economic conditions faced by so many at the moment.
It isn't easy to live on the minimum wage and employees in the service sectors know all too well what it's like to work long, anti-social hours on such pay.
Furthermore, while we queue in cafes or sit in eateries across the country, we've all seen waiting staff deal with the thankless task of placating unreasonable or even obnoxious customers.
Most customers are aware of this and it is part of the reason that they are kind enough to tip.
If a family of four treat themselves to a two-course meal with drinks at a decent chain restaurant they're looking to spend around £60-£80. When the waiting staff are attentive and perhaps help entertain the restless kids, most families would be happy to offer a tip worth 10-15%. Now if you're on a modest budget this amount is not insubstantial.
It's sickening then to realise that companies are ruining this generosity by diverting the money into their coffers.
The lawyers may call it unjust enrichment but I call it greed.
I've discovered that staff of at least two restaurants are threatened with disciplinary action or even dismissal if they make a preference for cash tips.
It is for this reason that I have staged a boycott of their restaurants.
I am pleased to say that many Assembly Members shared my disgust, as every party - except the Welsh Conservatives - joined the boycott by signing up to my Statement of Opinion, laid before the Assembly.
I'm sure many of you reading this will have worked for some brief stint in the hospitality industry or perhaps you are doing so at the moment. We all know that the workforce is a transient one, populated by people who are often supplementing another job or supporting themselves through study. It is partly for this reason that trade union membership is not prevalent in the sector.
Were this not the case, I am confident that staff working for many well-known restaurants could have a legal case worth millions.
As we know for a fact that credit or debit card tips are being siphoned off by these restaurants, we can be certain that the customer revenues would hugely exceed the menu prices they should match.
Our campaign is asking for two things:
Give up the tip now - why wait until October? It was wrong before and it's wrong now;
Respect customer choice with prominent signage that states that tips paid for by credit/debit card will not go to the staff.
If this is done, it'll mean that customers can make their own decision.
This fight will certainly continue when the loophole is closed to make sure that these tips get back to the staff. There is no argument for any other arrangement.
Finally, if you are going to tip, wherever you choose to dine, I urge you to do so in cash. That way you know it's gone to your waiter or waitress.
*note: This story appeared in the Western Mail, Aug 19 2009
Link to this article: http://www.valeofclwydclp.org.uk/?a=news&br=cons&newsid=719
NEW HEALTH COMMITTEE CHAIR BRANDED 'CEREAL KILLER'
published Tuesday 17th of March 2009 at 7.44 pm
ANN Jones AM has branded a North Wales politician a 'cereal killer' after referring to free school breakfasts as a 'wasteful gimmick.'
Conservative AM Darren Millar, who was last week named as the Chair of Health, Wellbeing & Local Government, claimed free breakfasts for children were a waste of public funds.
In a debate on council tax at the Assembly Mr Millar remarked: "Do you agree that scrapping wasteful gimmicks, such as free school breakfasts, would release cash to provide some direct discounts-say, £100 per pensioner household, in line with our Assembly manifesto commitment of last year - and that that would be a far better use of the Assembly Government's resources?"
Ann Jones, Labour Assembly Member for Vale of Clwyd said:
"First Thatcher stole the children's milk and now Millar the cereal killer is trying to take the rest of the breakfast away!
Mr Millar's remarks show how out-of-touch his backwards party are with the working people of North Wales.
It's absolutely hypocritical of him to slam us for a flagship policy like free breakfasts for schoolchildren when just 24 hours earlier in plenary another Conservative Assembly Member, William Graham, welcomed the measure we have introduced to tackle child poverty.
By nominating Darren Millar as Chair of the Health Committee, the Conservatives are showing yet again that they are disinterested in the health and wellbeing of the people of Wales.
The latest figures show more than 38,000 pupils in Wales have taken part in the free breakfast scheme. Maybe Darren Millar would like to ask one of them if this initiative is a waste of public money?
This is just the same idle criticism of a party devoid of any ideas of how to govern. The Conservative party needs to wake up and decide its priorities instead of spouting off about successful frontline Labour achievements."
Ann Jones AM is the representative for the Vale of Clwyd in the Welsh Assembly and is also a member of the Health, Wellbeing & Local Government Committee.
The record of Mr Millar's comments are available in the available in the record of procedings of the National Assembly of Wales website.
For further information please contact Alex Bevan (Researcher to Ann Jones AM) on 029 2089 8753
Link to this article: http://www.valeofclwydclp.org.uk/?a=news&br=cons&newsid=523
A note on Denbighshire County Council's Environment Budget Proposals
published Thursday 15th of January 2009 at 01.03 am
Denbighshire County Council are now considering a range of cuts in the Environment Directorate, in an effort to save £700,000, including:
• Stop sand clearance in Winter
• Reduce street cleaning
• Stop all summer flower planting
• Remove winter bedding plants
• Stop weed spraying
• Reduce street lighting
The Council have received one of the best funding settlements in Wales for 2009 - 2010, and I question the wisdom of pursuing cuts in these important areas. There was serious flooding in Rhyl and Prestatyn in 2007 and 2008, and the impact of leaving uncleared sand in drains could exacerbate our vulnerable drainage system. I do not believe that these measures will enhance opportunities to regenerate our town centres and the reduction in street lighting will not help us in our fight against crime and anti-social behaviour.
I am writing to Denbighshire County Council expressing my opposition to these plans and urge you to contact your local councillors as soon as possible if you share my concerns.
[signed Chris Ruane]
Link to this article: http://www.valeofclwydclp.org.uk/?a=news&br=cons&newsid=427
Labour County Councillor fighting cuts by Denbighshire County Council
published Tuesday 13th of January 2009 at 8.27 pm
The Tory led Denbighshire County Council is under fire for threatening to cut many services in the towns and villages of Denbighsire.
Labour County Councillor, Brian Blakeley, said he had received dozens of letters from concerned residents about the plans by Denbighsire County Council.
"This would send out a message of abandonment to the towns and communities in Denbighshire," he said. He goes on to add "at a time of economic downturn we should be strengthening our high streets and shopping centres, not damaging them."
Labour Member of Parliament for the Vale of Clwyd, Chris Ruane, added "With sand dunes and sand banks in our town centres, weeds growing in the high street, flower beds pulled up the only thing that will be missing is tumbleweed blowing down the high street."
This BBC Report details Labour criticisms of Denbighshire County Council's plans.
Link to this article: http://www.valeofclwydclp.org.uk/?a=news&br=cons&newsid=418
Plans announced to revitalise Rhyl and Colwyn Bay
published Friday 17th of October 2008 at 5.11 pm
The seaside towns of Rhyl and Colwyn Bay could benefit from tens of millions of pounds of investment from the public and private sectors over the next seven years as they become the focus of a new North Wales Coastal Strategic Regeneration area.
The decision to award this status was announced earlier this week by Leighton Andrews, Labour's Deputy Minister for Regeneration, and is designed to revitalise the two seaside towns by tackling a range of issues in a co-ordinated, integrated and holistic way.
On a visit to the towns today (Friday Oct 17) Mr Andrews said that both Rhyl and Colwyn Bay offered the greatest potential in North Wales to benefit from the Assembly Government's new strategic approach to regeneration which would complement the work underway on the Mon a Menai Action Plan.
Link to this article: http://www.valeofclwydclp.org.uk/?a=news&br=cons&newsid=339
£1.4m for improvements to Ysbyty Glan Clwyd
published Friday 12th of September 2008 at 9.16 pm
New funding worth over £1.4m to modernise facilities at Ysbyty Glan Clwyd has been approved by Labour's Health Minister Edwina Hart.
The funding from the Welsh Assembly Government will allow North Wales NHS Trust to improve fire safety measures in the hospital. The current fire safety system dates from the construction of the building in the early 1970s. The funding will allow improvements including extending the fire detection system, providing additional firefighting equipment and technology, and improving 'compartmentation' measures to resist the spread of any fire.
Edwina Hart said "Last March, I announced plans to redevelop Ysbyty Glan Clwyd. I said at the time that the building could continue to be used in its current form subject to a number of caveats, including the Trust addressing a number of issues affecting fire safety. This funding will mean that the high quality services that Ysbyty Glan Clwyd provides to patients in Rhyl and the surrounding community will be maintained."
A further announcement on the redevelopment of Ysbyty Glan Clwyd will be made following the submission of the proposals from the Trust.
Link to this article: http://www.valeofclwydclp.org.uk/?a=news&br=cons&newsid=290
'Proud to be English and sick of paying tax to subsidise the Welsh', says Tory
published Friday 5th of September 2008 at 01.46 am
Welsh Labour has called on Conservative Leader David Cameron to disassociate him self with anti-Welsh remarks made by a Tory candidate in a city council by-election in Leeds.
Glenn Broadbent, the Tory candidate in a Leeds City Council by-election states on his 'Facebook' social networking profile that he is: "Proud to be English and sick of paying tax to support lazy people, imported spongers and subsidising the Scots and Welsh."
Chair of the Welsh Labour Group of MP's and MP for the Vale of Clwyd Chris Ruane said:
"Yet again, we see the mask slip on David Cameron's Conservatives. Despite all his warm words and salesmanship, it's clear that the Tories are basically the same old nasty party that hasn’t changed at all."
"The fact that the Conservatives in Leeds have selected someone with these views must really call into question the way that they choose their candidates."
"Glenn Broadbent's comments regarding Wales and the people of Wales are totally unacceptable. David Cameron should disassociate himself immediately with these views, and remove Glenn Broadbent as their candidate at once."
For more defense of Welsh people read the Welsh Labour website: proud_to_be_english_and_sick_of_paying_tax
Link to this article: http://www.valeofclwydclp.org.uk/?a=news&br=cons&newsid=272
Please note that Administrators of this web site are not responsible for the content of external web sites.
This web site is intended to give information about the Vale of Clwyd Constituency Labour Party, the Vale of Clwyd Constituency, Labour Party branches within the constituency, and related information about the Labour Party and groups affiliated with the Party.